- Micropollutants – a challenge for society!
- The quaternary treatment stage on sewage treatment plants – end-of-pipe measure!
- Oxidation and adsorption as a solution to eliminate micropollutants!
- HUBER solutions guarantee the quality of surface waters and in the long term also that of drinking water!
The increasing use of pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals and hormones leads to ever increasing pollution loads in waters. As the substances are present in surface waters in concentrations of µg/l to ng/l, they are referred to as trace substances or micropollutants. Due to the research progress in improving methods of analysis substances of these concentrations can today be identified both quantitatively and qualitatively. To maintain the good chemical status of the surface waters in the future, these ecotoxicologically critical and persistent substances must be eliminated to the greatest possible extent from the point source wastewater.
Many different substances are introduced into a sewer system at many different points (so-called diffuse sources). The concentrations of these substances are gradually increasing on their way up to the inlet to the sewage treatment plant where the maximum concentration of micropollutants is reached. Therefore, adding a fourth treatment stage on the sewage treatment plant seems reasonable from both the technical and financial point of view.
One possible elimination method uses active carbon as powder or optionally as granulate. With both forms of the active carbon the substances to be eliminated from the wastewater are absorbed on the surface of the active carbon and thus reliably separated from the wastewater flow.
Through the combination of the HUBER Active Carbon Filter CONTIFLOW® GAK with for example an upstream oxidation stage (ozonisation or AOP) or a HUBER Sandfilter the elimination efficiency can be increased additionally.
We differentiate the HUBER solutions by the type of wastewater / application:
- Granulated active carbon filtration : HUBER Active Carbon Filter CONTIFLOW® GAK
- Sand filtration + Granulated active carbon filtration